
Here is a rare moment showing Africa sitting still. She doesn't do that very often these days now she's a proficient crawler and stander. No walking yet thank goodness as we've had enough injuries to cope with already. I've had two visits to A and E in the last month. First when she fell onto a shelf and cut her cheek. There was quite a lot of blood but I wouldn't have been rushing to hospital had the nurse at our doctor's surgery not told me to go. After waiting for a hour, it turned out there was nothing they could do. Hopefully the scar will fade..
All that was a good dress rehearsal for last week when I fell down the stairs and dropped Africa on her head. That was an incredibly scary experience which I hope I never have to repeat. She was clearly badly hurt and so Tim and I rushed off to hospital. They gave her a CT scan and it turns out she has a fractured skull and a small amount of internal bleeding. We were asked to stay in hospital for 48 hours for observation, but thankfully Affy was as smiley and happy as normal about three hours after the accident happened and has shown no ill effects since. Now we're back home and I'm a bit of a nervous wreck as she constantly falls over and bumps herself. I can't wait until she's a bit more steady on her feet.
Other than causing a bit of parental stress, Affy is turning into a lovely sunny toddler with a big wide smile. She and Stella love to blow raspberries at each other, especially at meal times and in the bath. A raspberry is Affy's usual reaction to any pureed food I put in her mouth. She's much happier to chew on things which she can hold herself, like cucumber, carrots or broccoli although she does occasionally go for a spoon fed yoghurt or some mashed pear. She's also going through that phase of bursting into inconsolable tears everytime I walk out of the room. Hopefully that will pass soon! I also hope that she's soon going to get out of the recent habit of waking up, ready to play, with the birds at 4.30am!! We've just been out to buy a playpen so that I can put her in there if this carries on. I am more tired than I've ever been...
1 comment:
It sounds like Affy's been advising the Unicef child care specialist who says that babies shouldn't have pureed food anyhow! She says babies should be learning to use their hands skillfully.
It's at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/18/nbabies118.xml
Post a Comment